Sunday, June 12, 2011

A New College Graduate’s Search for the Perfect Pet (Part 1)



This is our first guest post on The Animal Store Blog. Please welcome Lisa Shoreland, who will discuss her search for her first post-college pet in a three part series. Stay tuned this week to see what she decides.

Lisa Shoreland is currently a resident blogger at Go College, where recently she’s been researching aerospace engineering scholarships as well as health administration scholarships. In her spare time, she enjoys creative writing, practicing martial arts, and taking weekend trips.

Why Get a Pet?
by Lisa Shoreland

Having just recently graduated from college this last semester I’ve been excited to finally go out into the workforce. I’ve been interviewing with companies and trying to find that perfect fit. While I am quite excited to get started with “real life”, I’m finding that I’m not spending quite as much time around people as I used to. While I was in school I got to see my friends almost every day and, although we still hang out on the weekends, my days are filled with talking to HR reps and trying to find that next interview. In light of all this, I’ve decided to get a pet, just a little companionship for me while I’m getting settled into a working life.

Due to my situation, I have some specific requirements when it comes to owning a pet. I will likely be moving shortly, so I have to take that into consideration. I’m a new grad, so I don’t have tons of disposable income and I have to make every penny count. I will most likely be moving into an apartment, which will probably be pretty modest. I may or may not have access to a yard. Most of the jobs I’ve been interviewing for are either shift-work and/or salaried with lots of overtime.

So my pet is going to have to provide some amount of companionship while being relatively inexpensive, somewhat self sufficient, easy to move, be an indoor animal without needing too much room, and have a quiet disposition so as not to upset any neighbors.

Which pet will Lisa choose? Part 2 of her search will be posted on Tuesday evening, June 14. In the meantime, what was your first pet as a "grown up"? Let us know here.

In honor of Lisa's guest post and all you new grads out there, The Animal Store would like to give you a graduation gift. Bring in some proof of your recent graduation and get 25% off your entire purchase• of a new pet and all the supplies you need to get started. For those who have already graduated or are still in school, mention Lisa's post for a 10% discount.*


*Offer expires June 30. Good on white tag prices only.


Photo credit: COMMENCEMENT
© Attila Huszti | Dreamstime.com

No comments: